Beware another kind of deadly COVID-19 threat

Published by

Duluth News Tribune

Sunday August 2nd, 2020

E-Edition

In these days of forced isolation — and with psychologists and other health officials sounding alarms about a coming crush of suicides and mental health challenges related to COVID-19 — I think it’s important we all become more aware of folks who may be at high risk.  Maybe by sharing my husband’s heartache with the world, it will save someone else’s loved one.

Photo Gallery

13 Comments

1. Debi King on August 8, 2020 at 12:00 pm

Isolation is horrible for those of us with depression normally. I have COPD and have to be especially careful to begin with. My husband has diabetes and is an essential worker. We are raising a 3 yr old Grandson (in preK), a 5 yr old grandson (in Kindergarten), and a 7 yr old granddaughter (2nd grader) in a school district that is returning to school full time (5 days per week). I feel torn. We can opt for online learning but I feel least qualified to teach these kids. The middle one has extreme ADHD and the youngest has speech therapy through school due to developmental speech delays due to neglect from the parents. COVID can kill. It’s frightening.

• Doris Rauschenbach on August 10, 2020 at 7:15 am

You’ve got some very valid concerns. I especially feel for those kids who need extra educational/developmental support. The ability to understand facial expressions is an important part of nonverbal communication. How are these kids going to learn that when everyone around them is wearing a facemask?!

• Elmyra Lewiski on August 17, 2020 at 2:39 pm

My heart goes out to you! Our government should give more support to those who need it!
      Prayers!
      Love and light,

2. Debi King on August 8, 2020 at 12:03 pm

Depression is a killer in and of itself. Medicare allows my physician to prescribe antidepressants, however finances do not allow me to afford their copays. Therapy is not covered whatsoever by Medicare. So far it is by sheer determination that I survive!

• Doris Rauschenbach on August 10, 2020 at 7:02 am

There is something wrong with our health care system when it comes to mental health illnesses. It’s soooo frustrating! Please don’t ever give up and stop asking for help. Prayers to you, my friend.

• Vienna on August 17, 2020 at 7:53 am

Frustration has now compounded your many family issue’s now. I feel your pain..How is mental health NOT a priority to a major care taker in a multi generational home in today’s world? I just don’t get it, either. Your grandchildren and husband all require YOU to be THEIR caretaker in so many ways. WHO TAKES CARE OF YOU? I’m praying for you my friend and hope you have or get a support system close to HOME to be there for you🙏❤

• TW on September 7, 2020 at 7:20 pm

Oddly, develop an alcohol or drug issue…all sorts of help available.
        The ounce of prevention does not seem to exist.

• Barbara on September 18, 2020 at 2:25 pm

Maybe the teachers should wear the plastic, see through masks, but only if the s hook districts provide them for the teachers.

• TD on September 4, 2020 at 8:39 pm

Not true. As a mental health service provider, I know for a fact that Medicare pays for psychotherapy. I bill for services every week and they pay.

3. AlyAnn on September 6, 2020 at 2:35 pm

It doesn’t have to be done by the government. Churces, communities and websites can direct you on things to do.
    We need to start depending on each other.
    😋🙏❤

4. Pat P on September 14, 2020 at 8:25 am

Yes. I’m on Medicare, and my therapy appointments are covered, other than a co-pay.

5. Louise spurck on September 19, 2020 at 8:16 am

I’m on medicare, the cover all meds, therapist, psyciatrist, cold machine and treatment. Only 3 prescriptions are $1.00 and no copays. Covered all my hospital and hospice care til I was better, and I got to go home while doing mistreatment through a lift line. Maybe you should call..i’ve never had an issue.

6. Marjorie Robinson on September 22, 2020 at 1:08 pm

My heart goes out to you all you do have your hands full but you will be blessed. For taking your grandkids. I have my grandson but he is 19 now. He’s been here for 5 years. It’s hard when our kids can’t raise their kids. But you all did good prayers for all of you